Monday, March 16, 2009

Trust God, Not Circumstances















“On another Sabbath Jesus went into the synagogue and was teaching, and a man was there whose right hand was shriveled. The Pharisees and the teachers of the law were looking for a reason to accuse Jesus, so they watched him closely to see if he would heal on the Sabbath. But Jesus knew what they were thinking and said to the man with the shriveled hand, "Get up and stand in front of everyone." So he got up and stood there. Then Jesus said to them, "I ask you, which is lawful on the Sabbath: to do good or to do evil, to save life or to destroy it?" He looked around at them all, and then said to the man, "Stretch out your hand." He did so, and his hand was completely restored. But the Pharisees were furious and began to discuss with one another what they might do to Jesus.” Luke 6:6-13

Let’s look closely at the man with the shrivelled hand. This was a deformity, something to be ashamed about. Maybe he kept it hidden in his cloak. Maybe he kept his hand behind his back. But it would have been something he was ashamed of. How did he feel about his hand? Was he angry with God and ask, “Why me?” Was he bitter? We don’t know. But we can guess something about this man’s walk with God from the fact that he was in the temple on Sabbath Day. At the right place, doing the right thing to honour the God he believed. Then imagine this. Jesus stops teaching and looks around. He looks at this man with the shrivelled hand and says “Get up and stand in front of everyone.” Oh, the embarrassment of this! Imagine – it is Sabbath, the synagogue is full and the Teacher asks you to stand up in front of everyone. Every eye is on you. How vulnerable the man must have felt. Then, something ‘worse’ happens. Jesus says “Stretch out your hand.” In full view of the whole synagogue. For everyone to see! That hand that he had probably kept hidden, that hand that was his source of sadness and anger and shame. Yet he obeyed and stretched that withered hand out for everyone to look at. Then the miracle happens. His withered, shrivelled hand is restored! Made whole again! Healed! That which caused him shame now healed in front of everyone and God’s glory revealed! The joy of that moment for this man – can words describe it?

And what did it mean to me? It made me ask myself – what is my withered hand? What shame, guilt, sorrow, weakness am I keeping hidden? What am I being bitter, angry or sad about? And is my heart right with God despite it? God is asking me to trust Him. To stand up, ignore all other eyes, keep my eye only on Him and say “Here, Lord, this is my weakness. This is my shame. This is my worry, my burden.” God is asking me to trust Him with my vulnerability. To trust Him with my pain. To trust Him with my sadness and guilt. And He will heal gloriously. He will reveal His power in my weakness. Our God is awesome.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Ezen... Love the sharing... I've not looked at this particular passage this way. thx for the new perspective...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I not so crever... my ex-cell leader from SJSM shared this with me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha.. thanks for sharing it anyways Ezen! it encouraged me =)

    i think its so true... that question "Is my heart right with God, despite all the pain, hurts, weaknesses and failures?" It is easy to question why God allowed it and be resentful, and difficult not to ask if God really knows and cares what i'm going through. I'm often tempted to give up and say "who cares? i'm tired of trying to keep on trying."

    but i am encouraged to continue to trust God, to trust His heart that He loves me and has the best plan for me. to entrust my pain to Him, knowing that He will reveal His glory through my weakness. =)

    ~En

    ReplyDelete