Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Is Jesus Coming Back Soon?

Today at our office's weekly lunch time fellowship, an American couple who lives in Jersusalem came to share about their ministry in bringing reconciliation between the Jews and Christians. Much of the hatred that the Jews have against Christians stems from the fact that Hitler was a baptized and rather devout Roman Catholic since birth. As such, the association between the terrible massacre of the Jews, during the holocaust, and Christianity is still clear in the minds of the Jewish people.

During the sermon, the couple focused their sharing on "the signs of the times" (the indicators that signal the second coming of Christ); the developments in the middle east, the rebuilding of the temple etc. I was honestly quite cynical about the "signs" that they were enthusiastically sharing about as teachings about the Jesus' return has been preached throughout the decades. Will we really see Christ's return in our lifetime? Is it His second coming really that near?

As I was sat there with my pride & cynicism, I truly felt convicted/rebuked by the Holy Spirit. It was as if the Lord was saying to me...

"it doesn't matter whether you know the exact day and time of my return, what bothers me is the condition of your heart. Do you even look forward (with anticipation) towards my return (longing to see me face-to-face) or are you totally unconcerned and indifferent about meeting with me when I return?"

How would you feel if you went away and your spouse or loved ones never once bothered/cared about when you will be coming home? Painful isn't it. I believe that was how God feels when we are so caught up with our lives that we don't long for His return; in fact there are some Christians who even secretly wishes that He delays His return so that we can enjoy more of what this world has to offer. I am ashamed to say that at times, I am one of them.


So is Jesus coming back soon? Maybe a better question is "does it even mattter to you"?

2 comments:

  1. "does it even matter to me?"
    wah something for me to chew on...

    thanks for sharing Matt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for bringing back this timely reminder... :)

    ReplyDelete